It is permissible to leave the Musjid for the following acts of need:
(1) To answer the call of nature – to go to the toilet.
(2) To pass wind.
(3) To take an obligatory bath.
(4) To make wudhu.
(5) Juma’h Salat, if Juma’h Salat is not performed in the Musjid where the I’tikaf is being observed. In this case the Mu’takif should leave the Musjid at such a time to enable him to reach the other Musjid in time to perform his Sunnat Salat. He should leave immediately after having completed the six raka’ts Sunnats after the Fardh Salat. He should not delay for Dua and Thikr.
(6) To proclaim the Athan, if he is the Muath-thin. This is permissible for even a Mu’takif who is not the permanent Muath-thin.
(7) To bring food if there is no one to tend to this need of his.
(8) If one is compelled to leave the Musjid either because of danger or forceful eviction, one may immediately proceed to another Musjid. to continue with the I’tikaf an unnecessary delay in the process of changing Musjids is not permissible and will break the I’tikaf. When leaving the Musjid for the above mentioned reasons, the Mu’takif must return to the Musjid immediately after having fulfilled the need. An unnecessary delay of even a minute will break the l’tikaf.