- Allahumma lakal-hamd. Anta qaiyimus-samawati wal-ard wa man fihinna. Walakal-hamd, Laka mulkus-samawati wal-ard wa man fihinna. Walakal-hamd, anta nurus-samawati wal-ard. Walakalhamd, anta-l-haq wa wa’duka-l-haq, wa liqa’uka Haq, wa qualuka Haq, wal-jannatu Han wan-naru Haq wannabiyuna Haq. Wa Muhammadun, sallal-lahu’alaihi wasallam, Haq, was-sa’atu Haq. Allahumma aslamtu Laka wabika amantu, wa ‘Alaika tawakkaltu, wa ilaika anabtu wa bika khasamtu, wa ilaika hakamtu faghfir li ma qaddamtu wama akh-khartu wama as-rartu wama’a lantu, anta-l-muqaddim wa anta-l-mu akh-khir, la ilaha illa anta (or la ilaha ghairuka).
- Waallatheena yaqooloona rabbana isrif AAanna AAathaba jahannama inna AAathabaha kana gharaman
“Our Lord! Avert from us the Wrath of Hell, for its Wrath is indeed an affliction grievous – Evil indeed is it as an abode, and as a place to rest in”. (Qur’aan: 25:65)
- Rabbana wasiAAta kulla shayin rahmatan waAAilman faighfir lillatheena taboo waittabaAAoo sabeelaka waqihim AAathaba aljaheemi
“Our Lord! You comprehend all things in Mercy and Knowledge. Forgive, then, those who turn in Repentance, and follow Your Path; and save them from the torment of the Blazing Fire!” (Qur’aan: 40:7)
- Qul in kuntum tuhibboona Allaha faittabiAAoonee yuhbibkumu Allahu wayaghfir lakum thunoobakum waAllahu ghafoorun raheemun
Say: “If you do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Qur’aan: 3:31)
- Inna allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati sayajAAalu lahumu alrrahmanu wuddan
“On those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, will (Allah) Most Gracious bestow love”. (Qur’aan: 19:96)
- Rabbana hab lana min azwajina wathurriyyatina qurrata aAAyunin waijAAalna lilmuttaqeena imaman
“Our Lord! Bestow on us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and make us leaders of the Muttaqun (the righteous).” (Qur’aan: 25:74)
- Rabbi hab lee mina alssaliheena
“O my Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous” (Qur’aan: 37:100)
- Rabbana waijAAalna (Muslimayni laka wamin thurriyyatina ommatan (Muslimatan laka waarina manasikana watub AAalayna innaka anta alttawwabu alrraheemu
“Our Lord! Make of us (Muslims, bowing to Your (Will), and of our offspring a nation submissive unto You, and show us our Manasik (all the ceremonies of pilgrimage – Hajj and Umrah) and accept our repentance. Truly You are the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful”. (Qur’aan: 2:128)
- Rabbi la tatharnee fardan waanta khayru alwaritheena
- Rabbana ighfir lee waliwalidayya walilmumineena yawma yaqoomu alhisabu
“O our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) Believers, on the Day that the Reckoning will be established!” (Qur’aan: 14:41)
This is a dua made by Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh). He had offered this dua for protection from Hellfire. This is an extraordinary dua where Ibrahim (pbuh) is not only asking for him and his parents, but for all the believers. This should be an example for us to include other believers in our duas so that Allah (SWT) grants His mercy to all Muslims.
- Rabbi irhamhuma kama rabbayanee sagheeran
- Qala rabbi ishrah lee sadree. Wayassir lee amree. Waohlul AAuqdatan min lisanee. Yafqahoo qawlee
“Oh My Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-confidence, contentment, and boldness). And ease my task for me; And loose the knot (the defect) from my tongue, That they may understand my speech” (Qur’aan: 20:26)
Prophet Musa (pbuh) made this dua while proceeding to the court of Firawn for the arguments. In this dua, there is a request to increase one’s knowledge base – an important requirement for arguments. The second request is to remove physical limitations or limitation of resources. The third request is to allow him make lucid, easy to understand arguments. As we know, Musa (pbuh) was successful in the Firawn’s court and the wise men in the court had accepted the truth.
- Allahumma lakal hamdu kama kasauw- tanihi, as-aluka khayrahu wa-khayra ma-suni’a lahu waa’u- dhu bika min sharrihi wa-sharri ma-suni’a lahu.
“Oh Allah, all praise and thanks to You for clothing me with this (garment). I ask You for the good of it and the good of what it was made for, and I ask Your protection from the evil of it and the evil of what it was made for.”
(Abu Dawud Book 32, Number 4009: Tirmidhi (59) Hadith Number 7)
- Subhanalla-thee sakh-khara-lana haatha wa-ma kun-na lahoo muqrineena wa inna ila Rabbina lamun- qali-boon.
“Glory be to Him (Allah) Who has brought this (vehicle) under our control though we were unable to control it. Sure, we are to return to our Lord”. (Qur’aan: 43:13)
- Waith qala ibraheemu rabbi ijAAal hatha baladan aminan waorzuq ahlahu mina alththamarati man amana minhum biAllahi waalyawmi alakhiri qala waman kafara faomattiAAuhu qaleelan thumma adtarruhu ila AAathabi alnnari wabisa almaseeru
- Waqul rabbi adkhilnee mudkhala sidqin waakhrijnee mukhraja sidqin waijAAal lee min ladunka sultanan naseeran
Say: “O my Lord! Let my entry be by the Gate of Truth and Honour, and likewise my exit by the Gate of Truth and Honour; and grant me from Your Presence an authority to aid (me).”
- “O Allah! I beg of You blessings of entering and leaving. With Allah’s name do we enter and with Allah’s name do we leave and upon Allah, our Lord do we rely.”
(Abu Dawud, Book 41, Number 5077)
- Waqul rabbi aAAoothu bika min hamazati alshshayateeni WaaAAoothu bika rabbi an yahdurooni
And say “O my Lord! I seek refuge with You from the whisperings (suggestions) of the Shayatin (devils) “And I seek refuge with You, My Lord! lest they should come near me.” (Qur’aan: 23:97)
- A‘uthu bi kalimaatil-laahit-taam-maati min ghadhabihi wa ‘iqaabihi, wa sharri ‘ibaadihi. wa min hama-zaatish-shayaateeni wa an yahdhuroon.
”I seek refuge in the Perfect Words of Allah from His anger and His punishment, from the evil of His slaves and from the taunts of devils and from their presence”. (Abu Dawud, Book 28, Number 3884)