1. The kaffârah for zihâr is the same as that which was mentioned for fasting. There is no difference between the two. We have mentioned these masâ’il in detail in Part Three of Bahishti Zewar. Please refer to them. A few necessary matters which were not mentioned previously will be mentioned here.
2. If the man has the strength, he should fast consecutively for 60 days. He should not miss any fasts in-between. As long as he does not complete these fasts, he should abstain from engaging in sexual intercourse with his wife. If he engages in sexual intercourse with that wife (i.e. the wife on whom he had pronounced zihâr), he will have to re-commence keeping the 60 fasts. This is irrespective of whether he engages in sexual intercourse with her at night, during the day, intentionally or forgetfully. The same rule will apply in all cases.
3. If a person commences fasting on the first day of a particular month (Islamic month), he should continuously fast until the end of two months. This is irrespective of whether the months are of 30 days each, whereby he completes the 60 days, or whether they are less than 30 days each. In both cases, the kaffârah will be fulfilled. However, if he did not commence fasting at the beginning of the month, he will have to fast for a full 60 days.
4. If the person was fulfilling the kaffârah by fasting and forgetfully engages in sexual intercourse with his wife prior to completing his kaffârah, he will have to repeat his kaffârah.
5. If a person does not have the strength to fast, he should feed 60 poor persons with two meals. Alternatively, he could give them dry groceries. If he engages in sexual intercourse before he can complete feeding all the poor persons, he will be committing a sin. However, he does not have to repeat this kaffârah.
The different methods of feeding poor persons that have been mentioned in Part Three are applicable over here as well.
6. A person had to fulfil two kaffârahs for two zihârs. He gave approximately 4 kilos of wheat to each of the 60 poor persons under the misunderstanding that he is actually giving each person 2 kilos for each kaffârah. Even then, only one kaffârah will be fulfilled and the other will still be outstanding. However, if the person had to fulfil two kaffârahs; one for zihâr, and the other for fasting; then both his kaffârahs will be valid even if he fulfils them together.