- La ilaha illa anta subhanaka innee kuntu mina alththalimeena
“There is no god but You: Glorified are You: Truly I have been of the wrongdoers!”
This verse is known as Ayatul Karimah, the “glorious verse”. This dua was recited by Prophet Yunus (pbh) when he found himself in the dark belly of a big fish, who swallowed him alive.
- Rabbi innee lima anzalta ilayya min khayrin faqeerun
“O My Lord! Truly am I in (desperate) need of any good that You bestow on me!”
Prophet Musa (pbuh) was travelling to the dessert of Madyan and found some men were watering their animals and two women were standing helpless. Musa (pbuh) helped these women with water, and then returned to the shade of a tree. At this time, he made this dua. Allah (SWT) responded to this dua. As a result, one of these women came to him with an invitation from her old father. The old man was kind to Musa (pbuh), offered him shelter and gave one of the two daughters in marriage to Musa (pbuh).
- FaAllahu khayrun hafithan wahuwa arhamu alrrahimeena
“But Allah is the best to take care (of them), and He is the Most Merciful of those who show mercy!” (Qur’aan: 12:64)
- Allaahumma innee a’uthu bika minal-hammi wal-hazani wal‘ajzi wal-kasali wal-bukhli wal-jubni wa dhala’id-daini wa ghalabatir rijaali
”Oh Allah, I seek refuge in you from grief and sadness, from weakness and from laziness, from miserliness and from cowardice, from being overcome by debt and from being overpowered by men (i.e. other people)” (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 380)
- Rabbana ikshif AAanna alAAathaba inna muminoona
“Our Lord! remove the Penalty from us, for we do really believe!” (Qur’aan: 44:12)
- Rabbana atina min ladunka rahmatan wahayyi lana min amrina rashadan
“Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Yourself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!” (Qur’aan: 18:10)
This dua was recited by the people of the cave, known as ashaabul kahf, when they heard the sound of advancing soldiers, while running away from the army of the cruel king, who wanted to kill them because they, as true believers, refused to worship idols.
- Annee massaniya alddurru waanta arhamu alrrahimeena
“Truly distress has seized me, but You are the Most Merciful of those that are Merciful.”
This dua was recited by Prophet Ayyub (pbuh). Allah (SWT) put him through severe trials by taking away his wealth, health and children. His father, a descendant of Ishaq, was a very rich man. Although poor health, disease and poverty made him weak and miserable, he never complained or showed despair. His patience and endurance became a byword for coming generations till now.
- Allatheena itha asabathum museebatun qaloo inna lillahi wainna ilayhi rajiAAoona
Who say, when afflicted with calamity: “To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return”.
- Hasbuna Allahu waniAAma alwakeelu
“Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs”.
- Allaahum-mahdinee fiman hadaita, wa ‘aafini fiman ‘aafaita, wa tawal-lani fiman tawallaita, wa baarik lee fimaa a ‘ataita, wa qinee sharra maa qadhaita, fa innaka taqdhee wa laa yuqdhaa ‘alaika, innahu laa yathillu man waalaita, (walaa ya’izzu man ‘aadaita), tabaarakta Rabbanaa wa ta ‘aalaita.
”Oh Allah, guide me with those whom You have guided, and strengthen me with those whom You have given strength. Take me to Your care with those whom You have taken to Your care. Bless me in what You have given me. Protect me from the evil You have ordained. Surely You command and are not commanded, and none whom You have committed to Your care shall be humiliated (and none whom You have taken as an enemy shall taste glory). You are Blessed, Our Lord, and Exalted”.
(Abu Dawud, Book 8, Number 1420)
- La ilaha illal-lahu al-‘Azim, al-Halim, la-ilaha il-lallah Rabul- Arsh-al-Azim, La ilaha-il-lallah Rabus- Samawati Rab-ul-Ard; wa Rab-ul-Arsh Al-Karim.
“There is none worthy of worship but Allah the Mighty, the Forbearing. There is none worthy of worship but Allah, Lord of the Magnificent Throne. There is none worthy of worship but Allah, Lord of the heavens and Lord of the earth, and Lord of the Noble Throne”.
(Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 93, Number 523 and Volume 8, Book 75, Number 356)
- Allaahumma rahmataka arjoo falaa takilnee ilaa nafsee tarfata ‘ainin, wa aslih lee sha‘neekullahu, laa ilaaha lila Anta.
”Oh Allah, I hope for Your mercy. Do not leave me to myself even for the blinking of an eye(i.e. a moment). Correct all of my affairs for me. There is none worthy of worship but You”(Abu Dawud, Book 41, Number 5071)
- Qala rabbi ohkum bialhaqqi warabbuna alrrahmanu almustaAAanu AAala ma tasifoona
Say: “O my Lord! judge Thou in truth!” “Our Lord Most Gracious is the One Whoseassistance should be sought against the blasphemies you utter!”
Prophet Muhammad (SAW) made this dua. This dua confirms Allah (SWT) as the ultimate Judgeof truth and that He alone will protect us against blasphemies uttered by non-believers.