- Allatheena yaqooloona rabbana innana amanna faighfir lana thunoobana waqina AAathaba alnnari
“Our Lord! We have indeed believed: forgive us our sins, and save us from the punishment of the Fire” (Qur’aan: 3:16)
- Rabbana ighfir lana waliikhwanina allatheena sabaqoona bialeemani wala tajAAal fee quloobina ghillan lillatheena amanoo rabbana innaka raoofun raheemun
“Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed. Our Lord! You are indeed full of Kindness, Most Merciful.” (Qur’aan: 59:10)
- Waqul rabbi ighfir wairham waanta khayru alrrahimeena
So say: “O my Lord! grant You forgiveness and mercy for You are the Best of those who show mercy!” (Qur’aan: 23:118)
- Rabbana la tajAAalna fitnatan lillatheena kafaroo waighfir lana rabbana innaka anta alAAazeezu alhakeemu
“Our Lord! Make us not a (test and) trial for the disbelievers, but forgive us, our Lord! Verily, You, only You, are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.” (Qur’aan: 60:5)
- Rabbana faighfir lana thunoobana wakaffir AAanna sayyiatina watawaffana maAAa alabrari
“Our Lord! Forgive us our sins, blot out from us our iniquities, and take to Yourself our souls in the company of the righteous”. (Qur’aan: 3:193)
- Rabbana AAalayka tawakkalna wailayka anabna wailayka almaseeru
“Our Lord! In You we have placed our trust, and to You do we turn in repentance, for unto You is the end of all journeys”. (Qur’aan: 60:4)
- Qala rabbana thalamna anfusana wain lam taghfir lana watarhamna lanakoonanna mina alkhasireena
“Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls: If you forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be lost”. (Qur’aan: 7:23)
- Qala rabbi innee aAAoothu bika an asalaka ma laysa lee bihi AAilmun wailla taghfir lee watarhamnee akun mina alkhasireena
Noah said: “O my Lord! I do seek refuge with You, lest I ask You for that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have Mercy on me, I should indeed be lost!” (Qur’aan: 11:47)
Prophet Nuh (pbuh) had requested Allah (SWT) to save his sinner son at the tie of Great Deluge on the pretext of he being a member of his family. He had made this request out of fatherly love for his son. But the son being a sinner and rejector of faith, was not to be saved. Allah (SWT) admonishes Nuh (pbuh) not to ask about which he has no knowledge. This dua is to be made to show humility in our mind and seek forgiveness and guidance from Allah (SWT).
- Allahumma, ba’id baini wa baina khatayaya kama ba’adta baina-l-mashriqi wa-l-maghrib. Allahumma, naqqim min khatayaya kama yunaqqa-ththawbu-l-abyadu mina-ddanas. Allahumma, ighsil khatayaya bil-ma’i wa-th-thalji wal-barad
“Oh Allah, separate me from my sins as You have separated the East from the West. Oh Allah, cleanse me of my transgressions as the white garment is cleansed of stains. Oh Allah, wash away my sins with ice and water and frost”.
(Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 12, Number 711)
- Allahumma aghfirlee maa qaddamtu, wa maa akhkhartu, wa maa asrartu, wa maa a’lantu wa maa anta a’lamu bi hi inni laa ilaaha illa Anta.
“Oh Allah, forgive me for those sins which I have already committed and which I may commit and which I have committed secretly or openly and those which You know more than me; there is none worthy of worship except You”. (Abu Dawud, Book 7, Number 1405)
- Allaahum -magh fir lee thanbee kuliahu, diqqahu wa jillahu, wa awwalahu wa aakhirahu wa ‘alaaniyatahu wa sirrahu.
”Oh Allah, forgive me all my sins, great and small, the first and the last, those that are apparent and those that are hidden”. (Muslim, Book 004, Number 0980)
- Allaahumma innee dhalamtu nafsee dhulman katheeran, wa laa yaghfiruth-thunooba illa Anta, faghfir lee magh-firatan min ‘indika warhamnee innaka Antal-Ghafoorur-Raheem.
”Oh Allah, I have greatly wronged myself and no one forgives sins but You. So grant me forgiveness and have mercy on me. Surely You are Forgiving, Merciful”. (Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 12, Number 796)
- Allaahum-maghfirlee warhamnee walhiqnee bir-Rafeeqila’laa.
”Oh Allah, forgive me and have mercy upon me and join me with the Most High Companion (i.e. Allah Himself)”. (Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 70, Number 578)
- ‘Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta, Anta Khalaqtani wa ana abduka, wa ana ‘ala ahdika wa wa’dika mastata’tu, A’udhu bika min Sharri ma sana’tu, abu’u Laka bini’matika ‘alaiya, wa Abu Laka bidhanbi faghfirli innahu la yaghfiru adhdhunuba illa anta.”
“Oh Allah, You are my Lord, there is none worthy of worship but You. You created me and I am your slave. I keep Your covenant, and my pledge to You so far as I am able. I seek refuge in You from the evil of what I have done. I admit to Your blessings upon me, and I admit to my misdeeds. Forgive me, for there is none who may forgive sins but You”. (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 318)
The Prophet (SAW) said “The most superior way of asking for forgiveness from Allah (SWT) is this dua. If somebody recites it during the day with firm faith in it, and dies on the same day before the evening, he will be from the people of Paradise; and if somebody recites it at night with firm faith in it, and dies before the morning, he will be from the people of Paradise. (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 318)
- Allaahum-maghfir lihayyinaa, wa mayyitinaa, wa shaahidinaa, wa ghaa-‘ibinaa, wa sagheerinaa wa kabee-rinaa, wa thakarinaa wa unthaanaa. Allaahumma man ahyaitahu minnaa fa ahyihi ‘alalIslaami, wa man tawaf-faytahu minnaa fatawaffahu ‘alal-imaani, Allaahumma laa tahrimnaa afrahu wa laa tudhillanaa ba’ dahu.
”Oh Allah forgive our living and our dead, those who are with us and those who are absent, our young and our old, our menfolk and our womenfolk. Oh Allah, whomever you give life from among us give him life in Islam, and whomever you take way from us take him away in Faith. Oh Allah, do not forbid us their reward and do not send us astray after them”. (Abu Dawud, Book 20, Number 3195)
- Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta, Anta Khalaqtani wa ana abduka, wa ana ‘ala ahdika wa wa’dika mastata’tu, A’udhu bika min Sharri ma sana’tu, abu’u Laka bini’matika ‘alaiya, wa Abu Laka bidhanbi faghfirli innahu la yaghfiru adhdhunuba illa anta.
“O Allah! You are my Cherisher. There is no deity except You. You have created me and I am Your servant and as far as possible, I abide by my solemn promise and covenant (which I made to You). I seek Your protection against the consequences of my wrongdoings I fully acknowledge the grace You have bestowed upon me and! confess my faults. So pardon me as none besides You can pardon sins”. (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 318)